This webinar concentrates on federal and state wage and hour requirements that must be followed in the payroll department. Areas of discussion include calculating overtime, travel time, minimum wage, posting requirements, meal and rest periods, how often an employee must be paid and by what method and paying terminated employees.
The Department of Labor takes investigations of Wage and Hour violations very seriously! In recent years, agency-initiated investigations have increased dramatically. In FY2019 alone, agency-initiated investigations found violations that resulted in fines and penalties in excess of $322 million!
Civil lawsuits for Wage and Hour violations are always a threat to business. Penalties have been so severe that they have shaken the financial foundations of some of the world’s most successful companies.
Join Vicki M. Lambert, CPP “The Payroll Advisor” for this information packed webinar and get the information you need to help protect your company from financial jeopardy!
By the end of this webinar the attendee will have:
- Gained knowledge of and skills in federal and applicable state wage and hour law as it pertains to payroll preparation
- An understanding of the proper calculation of gross pay
- And understand of the proper calculation of overtime pay
- A sound knowledge of the terminology used by the FLSA as it pertains to calculating overtime and hours worked
- Basic understanding what is considered hours worked and how to handle such working hours as travel pay and meeting times
- Gained knowledge of when an employee must be given a lunch and when an employer may dock for meal periods
- Knowledge of the requirements for paying employees including pay frequencies permitted and methods allowed under state laws
- The basic understanding of what must be included on a paystub
- Federal minimum wage
- state minimum wage
- tip credits
- Youth minimum wage (training wage)
- Board and lodging credits
- Defining the legal work week and work day
- How and when to pay for travel time
- What is considered hours worked and how do they affect overtime
- Is it covered under the FLSA or do I need to check the state?
- What to do when the FLSA and the state law differs
- How to handle the FLSA and union contracts
- What is regular rate of pay?
- How is overtime calculated under the FLSA
- Posting requirements
- Meal and rest periods
- State requirements
- Statements and payday notices
- Frequency of wage payments
- Method of payment
- Paying terminated employees
- Paying out accrued vacation